Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Google keeps bringing the heat

Google just announced Tasks for mobile devices, including the iPhone.

ToodleDo's otherwise excellent iPhone app and Web service, which replaced my ToDo app, which replaced my OmniFocus app, may have just been replaced.

Yes, I do get tired of spending time and energy to divine the "ultimate" app for my purposes. But some of that is just the cost of doing business, and my feeling is that the effort will pay off in the end with slightly increased productivity, and greatly increased peace of mind. Part of the appeal of these apps to me is the "external brain pack" factor, which allows me to quickly offload my vagrant thoughts onto a more permanent medium. That medium used to be a lined sticky note stuck inside my daily calendar/journal thingy. It was a good, flexible, and simple system, which has been surprisingly hard to beat. But it was also not traceable, and it was hard to track both new, unprocessed thoughts, and sorted "to dos" all in the same space. It became unwieldy after a while. Capturing new to dos electronically, with online sync, is a little more sterile, but a lot more scalable and reassuring.

The new service is still buggy, as you can see in the below photo, so I'd give it a month or two. But after that, look out.





1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I imagine Jott will have a direct port to Google Tasks just like it soon will with Toodledo? (I'm spoiled now and don't like to have to write my forget-me-not's when I can just "say" them and have them auto translate to text.) I'm also hooked on the "Context" feature in Toodledo now (using it in a David Allen sort of way), so Google Tasks will have to be as full-featured and stable as Toodledo before I jump ships.

    ReplyDelete